Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Weird Day

Yeh...it was a funny ole sort of a day with me...

Firstly, I woke up too early, after not having gone to bed til about 2 this morning...thanks in part to the banter myself and my auntie Ann-Marie were engaged in to the small hours.
Ann-Marie is over from Oz for a long visit...and when she comes to stay I love the talks and stories and memories and everything that her sister, my mother, has forgotten, or wasnt born, so doesnt remember or didnt experience the same things that Ann-Marie did, who is 10 years older..

Its really interesting to hear her talk about my grandparents, who I never was close to, because unlike the rest of the family, we grew up in America...so didnt have the same access to out relatives that our cousins did, say.

And now, the only way I know my granny, is as an old woman, in a nursing home...who only hears when she wants to hear...and gets aggitated if shes in an unfamiliar place...
So when Ann-Marie tells me funny things that my grandparents said to each other...so tells me how nana was in the red cross during the 2nd world war...I can imagine it...and it makes my granny more real to me, I guess...

Ann-Marie reminded me at dinner or a time when we were over from America for a summer holiday...and we went visiting uncle jim joe...I think...
And there was some other woman in the nursing home where he was and she was shouting and giving orders, and going round all business...
Now I imagine that that would have upset me a little when I was young...but Ann-Marie remembers turning to me and saying...
"You have to think of them as the way they were when they were younger"
And when she said that to me over dinner, it clicked inside my head...I didnt remember her saying that to me...but it felt as though it wasnt the first time that I had heard that...

And I would think that I have always, prolie every since that time, that I have tried to see people older then me as they were once.

So Ann-Marie is leaving us for a little while tomorro, but she will be back in a few weeks I think...
And dad is home...so tomorro should be a whirlwind as well.


Spent a good bit of the day chasing after cows that had gotten in to our fields...and once I got them out, I had to find how they had gotten in...
That was minus craic...
Then I tidied my room...sort of.
Monica and Lil visited for a while...
Squeeky took to coming into my room through the window ever hour or so...it was very cute....

But today, I felt exhausted. Like I could have fallen asleep standing up, if I had stood still long enough.

The weather was savage so...hibernation will have to wait til winter :)

No comments: