Monday, February 27, 2012




My maternal Grandmother passed away this time last year and her daughter (my godmother) asked me to do a portrait with a bit of a twist. I have finally completed the portrait to a point where I am satisfied with it. It will be mounted in a box frame. A flower arrangement which was on nana's 93 birthday cake will be to the left hand side of the portrait inside the frame. When it is totally finessed Ill post it...promise.
As flattered as I am to be commissioned/asked/begged to do things for friends and family, it is always a massive pressure, especially with something as personal and raw as this particular project.
My grandmother was a pretty amazing woman. She was a prolific writer of poetry and songs, she was an inventive chef and wasn't afraid of anything. She supported her children without faltering and gave them every chance she could. She was a pioneer. I wish I had known her back then. I know I would have really liked her.

1 comment:

Jane O Sullivan said...

Thats a great job done Richael , you have got a great likeness yet it is an original piece in its own right.
congrats !