Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Artists do all the things

I think the main attraction of living in the country is being able, to literally, put down roots. I know you can do that anywhere, really, but there is something about the space, gentle sounds and natural patterns that certainly appeals to me in a big way. And here, I can do all those things, those things I was desperately missing while I was away in Galway for college.

I don't think I've ever seen the Cherry trees this full of bloom!

The Blackthorn, Cherry Blossom and Cherry trees are in full bloom absolutely everywhere. Delicate tulips are bumping off hardy daffodils (now at their end) and my low aquilegia is battling a…well I don't actually know what it is, it's some sort of shrub that looks dreadful until it literally bursts with almost fake looking pale pink flowers against quite dark leaves…I may have to put manners on it today. I can see the Turn cap lilies crowning, the crocosmia is beginning to look like something. The onions and beetroot are in, and with any luck I'll get the various pumpkin/squash and marrows in this week or next. Hopefully the peas, spuds and whatever else we have will go in soon too. 
I say this every year but it is incredibly satisfying to grow your own. Whether that's a little herb patch, hanging baskets of strawberries (the only way, by the way) or a veg plot. Even having your own cut flowers is, for me anyway, pure joy. I love collecting them and arranging them all over the house. It brings colour and life everywhere and is truly magical.

Because I forget the names of things and where they are, a friend told me (duh) that you can paint stones (which we have no shortage of) and then weather-proof them with clear nail varnish. Now I have markers that are vernacular!

 I got stuck in to making some new little baby owlies over the weekend also. I had forgotten how much I enjoy making them, and their almost alchemical qualities. How a bundle of material and some buttons can go from looking like something that is 'left over' to something with a personality and soul.


"Buta", a tiny paisley owl being sewn up Easter Sunday in the wonderful, glorious sun.




Finally, as wonderful Frieda Kahlo said "dress everyday for paradise". Whatever your idea of paradise is. Don't let what other people say or think sway your own personal expression. When we live at our highest possible level, that energy radiates from us and effects those we come into contact with. You provide healing and bring joy just by being your purest self.
For the craic, I get totally dolled up to go to work. I probably to go a little over the top...more is more, right? :)



2 comments:

Jane O Sullivan said...

Yes more more more , lovely posts shelly , just lovely xx

Shelky Bean said...

Thanks Jane! I'm really enjoying loveing up my blog, it had been ignored for far too long :)